Friday, January 8, 2010

Big news...



We are so excited!

Nate and I decided that it might be fun this time around to find out the sex of the baby with the family. So we went to the ultrasound and saw the baby, but told the doctor we didn't want to know the sex yet. When she was checking out "down there", she just told us and we looked away. I had printed two signs - one that said "It's a girl" and one that said "It's a boy". So after the ultrasound was over, the doctor went into a back room and placed the correct one in two manila envelopes (so I couldn't see through - Nate's idea). Then Nate took it back to work with him so I couldn't cheat (another one of his ideas). :)

This was right after we got the envelope. It was a LONG day waiting to open it.


{Side note: I have a funny, well funny now, story about why I'm wearing my glasses. I normally always wear contacts, but the day before I had been chopping jalapeños. Have you ever chopped jalapeños? I made the mistake of itching my eye right after I cut them. I have never been burned on my eye, but this felt exactly like I had. I immediately turned on the water to flush my eye and thought "I better take my contact out." Umm....mistake. Putting both fingers directly on my eye felt like I had poured gasoline and lit a match on it. It hurt so BAD! And apparently, the juices stay on your hands for a few days, no matter how many times you wash them. Hence, the glasses and inability to put my contacts in. Just know that if you plan on chopping jalapeños, you have been warned.}

That night my family came over and we opened the envelope. We wrote down everyone's guesses.


Had to have pink and blue cookies...


Here we are, DYING to open it.


Claire did the honors...


She was really surprised. But her first words were, "I wanted a sister." Nice.


We were so excited!!


Me pointing out to Nate that yes, its definitely a boy.


All the grandkids on my side, there will be five soon!




So far, the Chinese Calendar and the Pencil Test have predicted the sex of my babies correctly. We'll see if they can keep it up...

21 comments:

Chelsea said...

congrats that is exciting I love having boys but well I don't know any different :-) good luck and expect to be real busy with him :-) boys are crazy!

Staci said...

Awesome Melissa! Little boys are so much fun! Maybe this one will be a mini-Nate! :)

Dennis Family said...

I love that idea!! So cute! And I love that you have captured it all on camera! A baby boy will be so much fun! We love ours! Congratulations!!

Marie said...

Oh, congratulations! That is such exciting news! I wouldn't know what to do with a boy. :) I'm sure you'll figure it out fast. I'm so happy for you guys!

Brooke said...

SOOOO CUTE!! I love the idea of having family over, makes it so much more special. Loved the cookies and everything. Congrats!

Josh and Kelsey said...

So much fun Mel! Boys rock!!! The Chinese prediction for Jakson was a girl..we'll see about the next...

Shanna and Brent said...

congratulations! it'll be nice to have one of each...:) i love how happy nate looks in the pictures... like he's already planning the things he's going to do with his little boy! so sweet!

Mandy said...

Congratulations Melissa and Nate! He will be such a fun addition to your family!

Kristy said...

Congrats, Mel! What a fun thing to do and I love your pink and blue refreshments. You'll love having a little boy!

Trish said...

Yay! You get one of each! That's so exciting!

Amy said...

What a fun idea, I don't think I would be patient enough to do it. I'm so excited for you guys! Little boys are very different, but just as much fun!

Jenny said...

Congrats! I must admit I am a little jealous. I am dying to have a boy. Maybe next time! I am sure Claire will be a great big sister and helper to her mom.

Leslie said...

Congrats Mel! It's good to hear the pencil test is staying true! A boy and girl will be so fun;)

jakenapril said...

Wahoo! Of course you already know how excited we are for you guys. And I know the 'bummer' feeling about it not being a girl for Claire. Maybe she and Makenna can hang out, seeing as how they're the lone girls. Sometimes that can be a good thing though! I'm sure she will be the best, most fabulous big sister though.
So fun, so exciting, and so happy--again. CONGRATS!!!

Tiff Rudd said...

I know I already said this, but CONGRATS!! What a cute way to share that with your family! FUN!!

Laura said...

Very fun! Congrats! Great news! Claire will maybe get a sister next time... ;)

Natalie Puikkonen said...

Congrats. Boys are great.

Courtney and Dan Archer said...

Congrats, Melissa!! That is so exciting!! :)

L.J. said...

that is such a cute idea! Thanks for such a fun blog post. :)

Liz said...

Congrats Mel. I'm way happy for you and your growing family!

Tiffany said...

I am so excited for you Melissa...you guys make DARLING babies! Now you'll have the best of both worlds...a girl AND a boy. Congratulations! Tiff