Sunday, May 4, 2008

Happy First Birthday to Claire!

On May 2, Claire turned ONE YEAR OLD. Can you believe it? I can't. Ever since Claire has arrived time seems to have gone into warp speed. I swear we just found out that I was pregnant with her!! But it has been the most exciting and rewarding year of my life. It was really fun all day to think about what we were doing exactly one year ago. (Let's just say I'm glad that was one year ago.) ;)

Claire is just getting to be so much fun. She's so interactive and curious about everything. It's amazing what she picks up. She's a little sponge. Here are a few tidbits, all about Claire:

  • Claire talks NON-STOP. Most of the time she's just an excellent babbler, especially "da, da, da". "Dada" was her first word. She also says, "mama", "uh-oh", “look-a-look-a”, “na, na” (means hungry), “shhhh” and many other things that don’t make any sense to us.
  • She's great at signing...she can do: all done (her favorite), banana, dad, doggie, swimming, hat, more, cracker, touchdown (Nate's favorite).
  • Claire is pretty much the best sleeper ever. She started sleeping through the night at 2 months and hasn't stopped since. She still takes three naps a day, with her afternoon nap usually lasting about 3 hours.
  • She eats anything we give to her. Before her birthday I would have said her favorite was bananas...but now I would have to go with cake or anything with sugar. Uggg...
  • Bath time = Claire's favorite time ever.
  • She has nine teeth: four on top, four on bottom and one molar.
  • Claire loves to mimic. She makes kissing noises, growls, smacks her lips, scrunches her nose. Basically any noise you can make, she’s tries to imitate.
  • She knows and will point to these body parts: ears, eyes, nose, mouth, cheeks, belly, hair, and feet.
  • My little girl is still as busy as ever...she doesn't hold still for two seconds. I really wanted a cuddler, but that did NOT happen. :)
  • Claire loves to play with her cousins, Drew and Corgan.
  • She wants you to walk with her everywhere. I spend a good part of my day just walking around holding her hand.
  • She doesn’t like to be alone, but entertains herself well. As long as I’m in the room (or anyone else for that matter) she’s very content.
  • She loves to be read to. Her favorite books right now are: “Open the Barn Door”, “Old Hat, New Hat” and “Green Eggs and Ham”.
  • Best of all, she always has a smile on her face. She’s the happiest little thing. Even when she's sad or crying, she'll smile through her tears.
Thanks for allowing me that little Mom bragging time. :)

She had a great first birthday that lasted all weekend. On Friday, we did a fun little photo shoot with her attacking her cake. Check my photography blog in a few days for more pics from that.

Then we went to the park, had dinner and just played. Here's a little self-family portrait.



Claire and me.


Her first time on a playground swing. I don't think she liked it.

She was all tuckered out by the time we left.

Then on Saturday we had her big par-tay. Here is the invitation I made for it:


Here are the kids just playing around...

Claire opening her presents. Of course, she loved the boxes and wrapping paper the best!

Drew was quite fascinated with all of Claire's presents, he kept trying to help. They especially loved all the books she got!

The closest thing I got to a group shot...sad. Next time we're getting one with everyone!

Aunt E'Shell, Uncle Brad and Corgan gave her a bubble machine. It was the hit of the night! Here are the kids playing with the bubbles:

And finally, she got a second chance at her birthday cake. We made her her own special butterfly cake.

Yeah. She tore into it.

Then Drew and Corgan wanted to get in on the action.

What a great birthday! Thanks to everyone for the phone calls and emails! It was a special day. And big thanks to our families for always being there for us.

Nate and I are so grateful we get to be parents to Claire. There has been nothing more fulfilling to us. We sure love you little Claire bug! Happy birthday!

16 comments:

Kyle and Marci said...

We are glad that she had a great birthday! Kids are the best and being parents looks good on you and Nate! Can't wait to see some more little Plowmans!

jeremyandholly said...

happy birthday to sweet claire!! what a little angel face:) i love the cake pictures!
(it's been fun seeing you at yoga..lets keep it up!)

Chelsea said...

melissa your little claire is so cute and what a cute picture with the cake I do photography also that is a great idea! this is chelsea (clark) by the way just found you surfing blogs!jakeandchelsea.blogspot.com

Laura said...

She's adorable! What a great way to celebrate! Great pictures too. I hope our baby will be as cute and content as she is. :)

The Nortons said...

What a PARTY! Looks like fun. You are such a cute mom, and Claire is one lucky girl!

I looked at your photography blog and it is AMAZING! You are such a great photographer! Way to go.

Shanna and Brent said...

oh so sweet... HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY CLAIRE!!! she sure looks like she enjoyed herself... what a great mom!!!

Linzy said...

Happy birthday Claire! I love the cake portrait picture! That is awesome! looks like she made out well at her party!

Tiff Rudd said...

Happy Birthday Claire! Cute pictures and I loved the mom bragging! Isn't being a mom the greatest!? You are obviously very good at it! I was pregnant with Brooklyn a month after Cameron's first birthday! :) Are you getting that baby bug yet?

Josh and Kelsey said...

Cute Overload! It looks like you guys are having an awesome time being parents and enjoying Claire, seriously you guys are my idols! =D

Stephenson and Katie said...

How fun!!! I love the first pic of her with the cake... and I also love the cake you made! You are way too talented for me.... HAPPY BIRTHDAY CLAIRE!!

Anne Woods said...

Happy birthday Claire! I had forgotten how close she and Charlotte are. I am sure they would be great friends if we were still there! Looks like a fun filled day! First birthday's are the best. The cake shot is awesome! I love the butterfly cake too! She's a blessed little girl to have parents who love her so much!

Leslie said...

Happy Birthday Claire! She is absolutely darling. I can't believe she has slept through the night since 2 months old. I am so jealous! How do i sign up for that?

The Hilton Family~ said...

What a cutie! It looks like she had an awesome birthday!!

Tif said...

What a cutie! My favorite is that first pic of Claire with her cake. I love it! What a great shot. That's priceless. I'm glad you had such a great day.

Marie said...

Absolutely darling. I know how special these milestones are for moms. You are a fabulous mom who has been blessed with a little angel. I need to see more Claire in person.

jakenapril said...

I swear you have to blow up that first pic of Claire and the cake. P-r-ecious! I can't believe how the time has flown. Congrats...and keep taking all those great pics.