Friday, April 18, 2008

Roadtrippin to WY

So last week we got to spend five days in beautiful Rawlins, Wyoming. Why would we go to Rawlins, you say? The real question is...why not? Its got a grocery store, a library, tons of cowboys, and a KFC inside a gas station...a.k.a. all the necessities in life. Who wouldn't want to spend five days in Rawlins?? All right, all right, I'll tell you the real reason. Nate got into work on Monday morning and they wanted him to drive up that very day and spend the week at the Sinclair oil refinery. Pretty cheesy, but we've never been apart for that long and we hated thinking about not seeing each other for a week! So in about fifteen minutes time, we all got packed and made the four-hour drive. This is what I got to look at for pretty much the entire drive...


Beautiful, huh? Not boring at all.

Claire and I had many exciting adventures. Our days consisted of: waking up around 9 am, playing in the hotel for a few hours until Nate took a lunch and brought us the car, going to the library, swimming in the freezing cold pool, shopping at the Pamida, and walking into AA meetings (seriously). Here are a few pics from our library adventures (honestly, we spent hours at this library).


She was obsessed with this alphabet board...


Claire kept crawling back and forth between the alphabet board and this giant frog and would yell "Da, da, da" during the crawl. And when I mean yell, I mean scream. I had to keep shushing her because the internet users (the only people in the library) were giving us dirty looks.


PS-Nate did most of the packing for Claire and did not bring ONE hair bow for her. She went bowless the whole trip and I had two old ladies ask me if she was a boy or girl. Grrrrr...

We also introduced Claire to the world of bubbles. She reacted in the way she reacts to most things: at first, very unsure if she wants anything to do with it.



Then she started to warm up to them...


And finally, she had a lot of fun. We got some cute giggles out of her.


Notice the awesomeness that is Nate's outfit? He got to wear this beautiful one-piece jumpsuit everyday at the refinery. I'm ashamed to say I didn't get a picture of him with the matching hardhat and protective eye wear.


Claire had a hard time sleeping in the hotel crib......until we found the perfect spot for her. Can you tell where she is?

She slept like...well, a baby...in the dark, quiet bathroom. :) My poor child.

We did find one treasure in Rawlins. Anong's Thai Cuisine. This was the best Thai food I've ever had. I'm still craving the Pad Thai...yummmmm.


All in all, a pretty successful road trip with only one speeding ticket (I'm not admiting who got the ticket) and otherwise no other accidents. I'd recommend a road trip to Rawlins anytime!

13 comments:

Holly and Rhett said...

What a fun roadtrip. I love going to new places to explore - just to find treasures like their Thai food. I'll have you know I have slept many nights in hotel bathrooms...disgusting I know, but I am such a light sleeper. I know how it feels Claire!

Team Korte said...

Melissa, that trip sounds like so much fun! I am so jealous of you. I have always wanted to visit Rawlins. LOL! Really, though...at least you were all together.

Stephenson and Katie said...

Cute pics! Sounds like a fun trip! Seriously- just getting away ANYWHERE is so nice sometimes!!

Josie said...

Why is it always the old people asking if your baby is a girl or boy? My babies were both bald and I always got asked that, even if Audrey was in all pink. Hello people! Don't worry, Alex has slept in a closet before. Hotels and babies really don't mix well!

Linzy said...

Wow, what an "exciting" trip! I love the crib in the bathroom! That's exactly what Londyn's crib looked like in Hawaii-kinda scary huh?! I don't blame you for going with Nate, I hate it when Cody goes too.

Marie said...

I don't blame you for going with Nate. When Joe had to go to Vegas for the weekend for work, I had to go, too. By the way, Nate, I love the jumpsuit. And my favorite part of the whole story is that Nate forgot Claire's headbands.

Andy and Kimi said...

I'm glad that you went with Nate- we're cheesy like that too and don't like to be apart. I'm glad you found a library!

Jenny said...

Fun times. I like going places too. It is always fun to see new sites and places in the world.

Mike-Jami-Bridger-Foster said...

You gotta love some of those crazy towns in Wyoming... You wonder how people really live in them. It looks like you had an exciting time there though!

The Nortons said...

I love your description of Rawlins! SOunds like you still had a great time. Claire is so cute!

Shanna and Brent said...

oh what a cute little boy in your pictures ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha sorry... sometimes i think i'm funnier than i am... but your experience really does sound funny!!!!

Tiff Rudd said...

Sounds like fun! I know the feeling - Adam and I had to be apart for a full week once and it was terrible! Funny, since we survived for two years! :) Anyway, it is nice just to get away sometimes. Don't worry about the crib in the bathroom - we have done that with Cameron a ton! You do what works, right? Also, I had a huge flower headband in Brooklyn's hair the other day and a lady still asked! Some people are just clueless - with or without a bow, Claire looks like a girl! :)

jakenapril said...

Hmmm. Rawlins, huh? Sounds like you guys had a b-l-a-s-t. Thai food sounds so good right now...maybe we should head to Rawlins. Ha ha. Nothing like spending time together as a family! Memories are great and I'm sure the stories of Rawlins will live on forever. Glad you're back.